Calling all bivalve lovers, Friday, August 5 is National Oyster Day and I’m here to shell out some pearls of wisdom on how you can celebrate. Enjoy and happy shucking!
Blue Point Coastal Cuisine (Gaslamp): $1 oysters during happy hour (5-6 PM)
C Level/Island Prime (Harbor Island): $2.75 oysters, or $17 for a Rockefeller
Ironside Fish & Oyster (Little Italy): $1 oysters between 3-6 PM
Herringbone (various locations): $1 oysters all day
JRDN Restaurant at Tower23 Hotel (Pacific Beach): $1 oysters (and $6 glasses of rose) starting at 4 PM
Rockin’ Baja Lobster (various locations): $2 oysters all day; one of my favorites as it’s a tamarind-rimmed shot glass gives you the perfect kick
Sea180 Coastal Tavern (Imperial Beach): $15.95 for Rockefellers
Solace & the Moonlight Lounge (Encinitas): $1 oysters until 6 PM
- Their regular special is $1 oysters every day of the week between 3-6 PM.
Stake Chophouse & Bar (Coronado): $1 oysters
Want more even after the day is done? Here are some places that have oyster specials year-round. Check them out!
[Insert Area] Fish Shop
Face it… there are TONS of fish shops all around San Diego (some owned by the same folks), and many of them are actually good. They’ll all have oysters-of-the-day on the menu, so take a chance and head on in, or call ahead to find out their selection. Notable ones I’ve tried and recommend:
- Bluewater Seafood Market & Grill
- Encinitas Fish Shop ($1 oysters every Thursday starting at 4 PM)
- Pacific Beach Fish Shop
- Point Loma Seafood’s
If you’re feeling zesty:
- Sirena Cocina Latina, Little Italy (say that three times fast)
- It’s not listed on their online menu, but supposedly they have a crafty raw bar and two of their oyster specialties are the Angelmo Oysters (salmon caviar, chimichurri, smoked paprika air, and iceplants) and the Latin Oysters (lemon curd, tabasco, house seasoning, and greens).
If you’re feeling boozy:
- The Sandbar, Mission Beach
- They do $1 oyster shooters and for just a little more, they’ll top them off with vodka for an ultimate Sunday Funday
For the outdoorsy:
- Pacific Beach Alehouse, Pacific Beach
- Enjoy San Diego for what it has to offer, so dine out on the new upstairs deck and watch the waves come rolling in while you throw a few beers and oysters back.
- Pacific Beach Shore Club, Pacific Beach
- In addition to a classic oyster on a half shell, you can try their pepper vodka oyster shooter.