It’s Girl Scout cookie season so for many of us, that means our wallets will be slightly lighter, our pants slightly tighter, and our waistlines slightly wider. Wait, that sounds a lot like Christmas…
Anyway, let me offer a solution that can save you some pounds and crumbs. In my new column, Fakeout Takeout, I’ll share copycat recipes of your takeout favorites, and on today’s menu, homemade Girl Scout cookies! Now, before I let you get your bake on, it’s story time!
My sophomore year at UCSD, I opened the door to an adorable Girl Scout who smiled sweetly and said, “Hi Miss. Would you like to buy some Girl Scout cookies?” That year, I made a promise to be strong in my resolve to reject all advances for their $3 boxes of delights. (Yes, $3. Move along… nothing to see here.)
“No, thank you,” I said firmly, but just as sweetly. She drops her head, seemingly accepting defeat, but before I could claim my victory, an even more adorable little boy pops his head out from the wings and whimpers, “Hewwo…” Oh, gawd, no…
“You no wanna buy cookies from my sisther?” *blinks at me with puppy dog eyes*
Faster than you can say “campfire badge,” the devious duo left with whatever change and dignity I still possessed. As they sought their next victims, I silently applauded their efforts and thought, “You had me at hewwo!”
- Crispy cookie, made with whole grain, full of tangy cranberry bits and zesty citrus flavor. A sweet addition for the new cookie season: this crispy cookie is filled with 9 grams of whole grain! Made with real fruit, this new cookie has no high-fructose corn syrup, and no artificial colors, ﬂavors or sweeteners.
- Crisp and crunchy oatmeal cookies with creamy peanut butter filling.
- Savory slices of shortbread with a refreshingly tangy lemon flavored icing.
- Made with whole-grain oats; hearty oatmeal cookies with plump raisins and Greek yogurt-flavored chunks.
- Vanilla cookies topped with caramel, sprinkled with toasted coconut, and laced with chocolaty stripes.
- Crispy vanilla cookies layered with peanut butter and covered with a chocolaty coating.
- Shortbread cookies dipped in rich fudge and topped with an embossed thank you message in one of 5 languages.
- Crispy chocolate wafers dipped in a mint chocolaty coating. Made with natural peppermint oil.
Toffee-tastic™ | Healthier Version (their gluten-free, so get creative to make yours unhealthy)
- Rich, buttery cookies packed with golden toffee bits bursting with flavor.
- Traditional shortbread cookies.
- Chocolate chips nestled in a gluten free peanut butter oatmeal cookie. Millions of Americans have problems eating food with gluten – so ABC bakers has created a delicious cookie just for them! Made with real chocolate chips, real peanut butter and certified gluten free whole grain oats, Trios will be available in a number of test markets this year.
Have a better recipe? Send it my way! Otherwise, happy baking and happy snacking!